To be honest, I kind of dreaded Christmas this year. It’s not my favorite holiday anyway. I mean I love celebrating the birth of Christ, but I prefer much lower key holidays like the 4th of July when there isn’t usually a bazillion different places to be and all at the same time and no matter which place you choose, someone, somewhere is going to be mad at you. So ya, not a huge fan of Christmas, but this year I was REALLY dreading it. I had pretty much finished shopping in May. I thought I was so smart! My thinking was that who in their right mind would want to go out during the holiday season shopping with twins that were only a few months old? Jokes on me! So I didn’t have a lot of shopping to do which was nice, but kind of boring and I just dreaded missing our little Easton. I dreaded that so much time had passed that it seemed everyone else except us was starting to forget that he ever existed and that I would spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day doing what I have come to call, “faking it until I make it.” Needless to say, I was feeling mighty sorry for myself. Christmas Eve came and we went to visit Easton’s grave and I had my good cry for the day while we pulled away from the cemetery and drove to my parents’ house for their party. We had a really good time with lots of yummy food and fun games and I was pleasantly surprised how much fun I had. Christmas Day came and my kids were so excited and they had so much fun opening presents, but I have to say the best part was the Spirit we felt that day. The day I had been dreading for months turned out to be the BEST Christmas I have ever had. Ryan and I agreed to only get each other one gift so you would think that for someone who loves to get presents like I do, would be disappointed in such a Christmas, but it truly was a special day. Since it was Sunday, we attended Sacrament meeting and one of the songs was Away in a Manager. This song hasn’t ever really been my favorite, but the last verse really got to both Ryan and I that day.
Be near me, Lord Jesus,
I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever
And love me I pray
Bless all the dear children
In Thy tender care
And fit us for heaven
To live with Thee there
This year, on the Christmas I had dreaded more than any other, I felt what the true meaning of Christmas is. The whole reason for Christmas is to celebrate the birth of our Savior who came to this Earth for the soul purpose of making it possible for us to return to Him and to be able to be together as families forever. Those blessings have taken on a whole new meaning at our house and I am grateful for the teachings of the Gospel that have helped us to see the eternal perspective.
That all being said, Carter and Rylee had a great Christmas and were so spoiled by many! Asher didn’t care much. Sadly, we didn’t take a single picture, but here are some videos…
No comments:
Post a Comment